I don’t hear my laugh anymore

Ever since you died

Because I hide

Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
11/08/2019 6:29 am  

Interesting poetry, to read on the printed page. The hammering home of the title Line is very effective. That title Line is very strong emotionally too, the idea that a person doesn't hear their own laugh anymore, and has noticed.
But too sad and dark for my tastes Mick. How do we sing about such despair? When a Lyric addresses such matters I always hope for some uplift in the Lyric where the Singer-Character shows strength in overcoming their despair, and moving on.
In the Chorus I wonder if getting the title Line, THE Hook, in the last Line position would be stronger.

Chorus

Ever since you died

Because I hide

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

ReplyQuote
Mick Standing
(@mick-standing)
11/08/2019 7:19 am  

Thanks Gary

I could add a bridge which could be a bit more uplifting and when i get around to putting music to it i will try that chorus it depends what works best and as you would know it can change.

Mick

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
11/08/2019 12:38 pm  

That's one of the joys of Songwriting, Song 'Crafting', tweaking words and Lines to have a different effect, to paint a different visual or emotional idea. 
The subject of death of a loved one is a delicate area, since nearly everyone has experienced it and can relate in some way. Whether they relate and come away with a positive vibration or a negative vibration is an unpredictable variant, unique as the Human mind itself. How to give them more details to lead them to the positive vibration is a challenge. If this is an actual personal experience you're writing about it might not work to adapt it to be simply a lost love, not a death. We don't 'get over' death; we simply learn to live with it. But a lost love can be dealt with, gotten 'over' to a large degree, and enable the 'moving on' of which I speak.

"I Don’t Hear My Laugh Anymore" copyright by Mick Standing

V3 (I wondered if Verse III might be better as Verse I, showing early the 'I won't see you' idea. The Singer-Character introduces the Love-Interest Character early in the story.)

I Don't Hear My Laugh Anymore

And it’s been so many years (Even after all these years. Alternative Line.)

I won’t see you again (Knowing I won't see you again,)

Always brings me to tears

V1 (Becomes Verse II? Verse III? Shifting from loss due to death to lost love might mean a cause other than 'the world' could suggest interesting ideas.)

This world has taken it away

On the wind it flutters (Visual metaphor rather works in my mind, something black and tattered, blowing in the wind.)

Until I find another way (The 'hope' element. The Singer-Character is aware he must move on, and open to the possibility.)

Chorus

Ever since you died (Ever since love died)

Because I hide (All I do is hide)

V2 (Becomes Verse III? The baseball metaphor works, but does it universally, even for folks not fans of the sport to 'get' the metaphor?)

Time has beaten it around

It rolled to the outfield (Far out beyond our reach)

Along with the lost and found (Out in the lost and found)

Chorus (Oops! Left out this giving of the Chorus. Verse/Chorus, Verse/Chorus, Bridge/Chorus/Coda.)

Ever since love died

All I do is hide

Bridge

If only, if only, if only

Rattles 'round my brain

If only cries out to me

On the loneliest train (On my lonely train. 'the' is abstract. 'my' let's the Singer-Character 'own' it.)

Chorus

Ever since love died

All I do is hide

(Coda)

This post was modified 1 month ago by Gary E. Andrews

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

ReplyQuote
NEIL COTTON
(@neil-cotton)
Sparkly Member
12/08/2019 12:52 pm  

Mick, you have a great start here 
Gary has given some excellent advice, yours to use or not

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register