"People Say " looking for music

Page 1 / 2

Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

I need music for this lyric.
I think It could be a country song. Some rumors and gossip about someone called Pat Batson

re-writing:

Title: "People Say" © 2020 by Nelly Tharwat.  All Rights Reserved

re-writing:

a Horse whinny and running sound effect..Then,

Verse 1:

When he hurries to his large cattle farm        10
Riding his horse, followed by his dog " Knight"   10
That scene makes you feel like you're watchin'    9
a western movie in black and white !      9

He was the sole heir of his family       10
After the death of his young brothers    10
He was left with a shipping company     10
plus a farm and a billion dollars        9

Chorus Refrain :
I don' know Pat Batson but People Say;

Verse 2:

Being a businessman, an' a billionaire    11
Townsmen consider him their ideal      10
Really he deserves that and more       9
That guy who never lost any deal      9

It's hard to meet him. He's always busy     10
Living as a prince or a superstar               10
wears the Italian luxury brands                   9
And owns a helicopter and three cars.      10

Chorus Refrain :

Verse 3:

He have some friends of another of kind      10
Rottweiler dog and a dark brown Steed          9
They are the only ones who never                 9
Forsake him in his moment of need         9

He seems vague, always/when wears his sunglasses    10
Looks like he hides a great secret behind       10
Wants his eyes not to reveal but                        8
His attraction is too strong to hide!              9

Chorus Refrain :

Verse 4:

He owns some houses in famous cities              10
but we know he prefers the country life              10
Since his divorce five years ago                   8
He's livin' alone, no kids no wife!               9

Each woman tries to show up the others     10
with her abilities getting his heart             10
But they always fail in their planning         9
and a new lady/one comes for one more start !     10

Chorus Refrain :

Verse 5:

He recently showed with a pretty girl           10
From time to time rumors fly and spread     9
Some say;" he finally fell in love."                     9
But he denied them wholly and said ;               9

Five years have gone since I got my divorce    10
No woman got my heart , It's still my own     10
That's the reason I'm still unmarried              9
That is why I'm still living alone                     9

Chorus Refrain 2 + coda :

I don' know Pat Batson but I could guess,
The reason of his fame and success,
He depended on himself all the time
and never listened to the jealous voices!.

This topic was modified 3 years ago 4 times by Nelly Tharwat

Reaching the top is so hard but not impossible.

Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If This lyric would work fine as country. That's great, I'll be glad if I get a country song! because I didn't write any country song before . I just have some pop songs and one rock an' roll.. 

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

If you want a country song, you have to eliminate about three of those verses. Country is two verses and a bridge with a very strong chorus. It's not 1950 any more.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@mabbo

Hi Mabbo, I'm glad to talk to you,  

If I can't get a country song  then, I like to get a good song , any genre..

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

Nelly,

That's fine. But there really are no more genres that have more than about three verses. The basic problem that all writers have today, is that they are working with a general listening public with a VERY SHORT ATTENTION SPAN. People's attention span now ranges between 8 seconds to 30 seconds. If they are not really knocked out by something almost immediately, they tune out. The majority of people you will encounter, will not know you. they will hear a little bit of your song, WHILE looking at cell phones, doing multiple other things. Music is a background, not a foreground. That means it takes more to get people's attention with less words, less space, less time overall. 

So you might want to go back, find your most important parts of your song, pare it down to no more than three verses, and some choruses. Preferably two verses and a bridge. 

Country is VERY CONCISELY WRITTEN. Even throughout history, if you go back and listen to country music, you never hear more than about three verses. The shorter the better. There are aborattions of course, EL PASO by MARTY ROBBINS, or THE GAMBLER by Kenny Rogers, but almost all country music fell into a very short time frame. Most of Hank Williams songs were a little over two minutes. And the attention span for the public now is VERY VERY SHORT. 

So if you want to get to a "GOOD SONG" remember "Less is More." 

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

You like these short songs.. It's my first release with Chris Price,  It's the shortest song I wrote ever, less than 3 minutes

you can find it here:

All I Know by The Mates

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kgpo6bgizzXzrFtjGAhMooEEdT4o2EFmY

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

That;s the general idea. It's not really that "just I" like shorter songs. That's just the realities of life. The general listeners like shorter songs. I always liked it because I can get more songs in. 
MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

MAB,

It's hard to build a character  or tell a story in  3 minute song or less,..

One of my mates said about this lyric " It reminds me of Richard Cory by Simon and Garfunkel" , Today I sat down and   listened again to Richard Cory by Simon and Garfunkel,  I  think  I can eliminate about  2 verses  but I wonder; Can I delete more lines? 

Thank you for your advice.. appreciate your input.

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

Nelly,

That's what separates songwriters from the great ones. The really competent songwriters can tell enormous stories in three-half minutes. And the problem now is that you really don't have any choice if you are trying to find a larger audience. The biggest problem we have in Nashville (and I've done songwriting and performing in pretty much in every state in a couple of other countries) Is "GLOW SONGS." This is where the audience is completely disconnected from the writer/artist and on their cell phones. The "glow" is the glow from the screen reflecting in their face. On the Internet, it is even faster. One of the reasons that people who are depending on "streaming" are dissapointed with lack of revenue from their songs is because people are not listening to the whole song. They are listening to a few seconds, then moving on to something else.

What you need to do is find your MOST IMPORTANT LINES. You don't have to describe EVERYTHING THE GUY OWNS. You don;t have to talk about his dogs, his cars, all his women, helicopters or do a tour through each of his houses. Putting just a couple of things in there to show he is wealthy is more than enough. With todays "continuous "lifestyles of..." reality shows, pretty much everyone has seen what the wealthy live as. 

The biggest question you have to ask yourself is "WHY?"
WHY are you interested in writing it? What is different about him that what we all see all the time, see on the news, have reality shows?
And WHY would the audience be interested in it? Aside from being rich, what is it that would be interesting to most people?

Other than just showing an overview of a ton of television shows and Internet articles on the rich and famous, what is it about this guy that stands out?

Look, you don't have to do anything. You can write it with fifty verses if you want to. I was responding to your comments about "Being a country song" and that is what I do know about. I also know about the modern tendency to simply tune longer pieces out. If you develop your own "Bob Dylan" following that eats up everything you do, that is more than fine. That is your niche. My comments are purely from a genre perspective. Country music is MUCH shorter, whereas decades ago, there were longer stories. but that faded out with people's attention spans. 

At any rate, as far as suggestions, I'd pick out the biggest elements you have that describe who this guy is, find an overview, telescope the action (shrinking it into a smaller space) and then find a reason to pull the listener in. By forcing yourself to write in only 2-3 verses, chorus, or possibly a bridge, it will make you not waste space, keep your information as tight as possible and deliver your overall message in a way that people can follow along. AS most publishers would tell you "DON'T BORE US, GET TO THE CHORUS." 

Good luck,
MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Prominent Member

Nelly, I have to agree with MAB, that this is too long and wordy. It's not just the length itself, but the tone. I can't help feeling that this would work better if it sounds as if we are hearing it from the mouth of one of those who observe him. It needs to be snappy and conversational in a way that lines like these aren't.

He was the sole heir of his family 10
After the death of his young brothers 10
He was left with a shipping company 10
plus a farm and a billion dollars 9

That sounds more like an obituary. You could make it snappier and add some visuals, as well as combining this verse and the next into one.

He got it all when his daddy died
The firm, the farm and a billon bucks
Now folks touch their hats when they see him ride by
And they see his name on the company's trucks

Or something like that 🙂

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

Exactly right. Good suggestions Gavin.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
YrralMallik
(@yrralmallik)
Noble Member

Enjoyed Da Read.Good luck with it.

Larry G. Killam

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
Honorable Member

Nelly,

Keep us advised on what you are doing and how it's going. Let me say a word on "longer" songs. People will often bring up songs like "AMERICAN PIE", "BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY, and WRECK OF THE EDMUND FITZGERALD" when it comes to songs with length .They always miss a few things on those. 

First of all, the times those songs came out were very different. The 60's bred a longer format of songs, called "the progressive" era.
They had experiemental and harder rock bands that pushed the radio and attention span format to encompass longer songs. When the "FM" band on the radio came out, end of 60's beginning of the 70's, that had very few commericals, were doing "Long playing" albums, that lasted 33 minutes, and of course it was the "drug era" so pepole just sat around the bong pipe, got stoned, and wanted songs to play on. There were also less radio stations, so people were focused on those songs. 
Before that era, starting in the 20's and going on, songs were a little over TWO MINUTES. Most of the Beatles songs tapped out at about two minutes and 30 seconds. I think that you can view the Beatles and see huge stories told in that time frame. Listen to "Penny Lane", "Yesterday" "Imagine" and you can find a complete "narrative" (story) told very clearly and very directly.

There was a longer format in story telling which were campfire or folk songs, but again, you have the actual songs that were not that long. You might have accompying guitar or instrument solos which extended the length, but the actual story part of the song was pretty fast. Something that you did have was A STRONG UNIVERSAL CHORUS that came around every thirty seconds or so that reminds the listener of what the song is about. This is a place that the audience could sing along to and are very easy to listen to.

Two of those songs come to mind, AMERICAN PIE and PIANO MAN, by Billy Joel. They do tell a story, but every thirty seconds there is the "SING US A SONG , YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN, SING US A SONG TONIGHT...." or
"BYE BY E MISS AMERICAN PIE, DROVE MY CHEVY TO THE LEVY BUT THE LEVY WAS DRY...."

In "WRECK OF THE EDUMND FITZGERALD" is is that line that comes around at the end of every verse. That reminds people of WHAT THIS SONG IS ABOUT. That is sort of what you are trying to do with your "Pat Batson" line. Which could be fine, but you have to fill in the "So What?" Part. What is it about "PAT BATSON" that makes someone want to listen to him except he is a rich guy?
Does he spend his money to help the homeless? Build a new empire? Take over the world? Or is he just a rich jerk that everybody hates because he is rich? Or is he a "Jeffery Epstein headed to jail?" 

In each case, especially "Fitzgerald" and "Bohemian Rhapsody," the artists were already well established before those songs came out. Gordon Lightfoot, had "SUNDOWN", "IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND LOVE..." Which were enormous international hits, and he had been a huge star for 20 years before that song came out. Same with Queen and Bo Rap. They were one of the biggest bands in the world, before they released that which was a strange song no matter how you look at it. But people LOVED QUEEN and Freddie Mercury could get radio to play the phone book if he wanted to.

Same with all of these "longer songs" that people quote when it comes to longer songs and verses. And to be honest with you, I don't think those songs would fly today. Radio is corporately controlled, and nothing past about 3:30 is even going to get close. Of course, every song is not a radio song, but all of this have shortened attention spans. So if you want to write a multi verse song, it limits your listener. But you can do what you want. 

Again, I am really talking more in a "genre specific" (American Country)  which is what you said from the beginning. You can do what you want, develop your own audience. But song length is something we all have to think about if we're trying to present songs to a listening public. And if you ever had to sit through a Nashville writers night, with 25-30 writers doing 3 songs each, and hear several of them talk for 4 minutes about "how I wrote this song about my dead hamster who died when I was eight years old and my Grandmother wouldn't let me get another one and flushed my goldfish down the toilet...." and then go for another 5 minutes on their 8 verse song about how their hamster died when they were eight years old when their grandmother flushed their goldfish down the toilet..." and repeat that 20 times, you would start to appreciate shorter songs. Especially if you watched your listening audience leave with each long droning. That's where the rubber meets the road. And the Internet is faster. 

So these are just some things to keep in mind when you approach music. "WHO'S GOING TO LISTEN TO IT?"

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Maboo and Gavin,

At first, I want to thank you all for giving me these details and clarifications.. Now, I understand what you wanted to say and I agree with you all, I need to think of it again and make some re-writing..

Thanks for your good  suggestions Gav.

ReplyQuote
Nelly Tharwat
(@nelly-tharwat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @yrralmallik

Enjoyed Da Read.Good luck with it.

Thank you 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: