MAB song, BLUE STOR...

MAB song, BLUE STORM RISING- IDES OF MARCH  

RSS

Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
30/04/2020 2:50 pm  

BLUE STORM RISING- IDES OF MARCH, WRITTEN BY MAB/JOIE SCOTT AND JIM PETERICK

Like a lot of you who might be around my age, (62) we remember the BIG HORN BANDS of the late 60's and 70's. CHicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, and this one, IDES OF MARCH. Jim Peterick, founded the band in the late 60's and they had their first huge hit hit, "VEHICLE" in 1970.
Jim went on to write a ton of legendary songs, for bands like 38 SPECIAL (HOLD ON LOOSELY, ROCKIN INTO THE NIGHT) and then on to SURVIVOR,
(The Search is Over, FAITHFUL HEART) and of course, the continually movie and television staple, EYE OF THE TIGER.

I got to know Jim a few years ago when my friend and co-writer, Joie Scott, got us together. We wrote a couple of songs and I was blown away when one of them "BLUE STORM RISING" was recorded and performed by the IDES for their FIFTY FIFTH anniversery CD. This is them doing it live in a Chicago telelvision show. It is performed with the current lead singer of JEFFERSON STARSHIP, Cathy Richardson. Really cool to have idols perform something you had a hand in.

Marc-Alan Barnette

Gavin
(@gavin)
Right Honorable Member
01/05/2020 9:29 pm  

Very cool, MAB. Congrats!

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Right Honorable Member
10/05/2020 6:57 am  

Hello MAB. Thanks for sharing that. Fabulous.

"How did this blue sky we painted fade to black?" Love that line.

"It's like you and me and the sky all three of us cryin'" Wow, wish I'd thought of that.  Songwriting in a nutshell. Find a way to say what's been said a thousand times but say it like no one else has. I think you nailed it with that line.

🖤 Jen

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://evansandstokes.com
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes/

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
10/05/2020 9:17 am  

Thanks Jen,

Glad you like it. Unfortunately, that was not me. I don't know if I explained it or not, but this was the second song we wrote together. The first was called "VINYL REVIVAL" which I LOVED. It was about the comeback in Vinyl records across this country and the world. The groove was incredible, the lyrics great and a fun killer rocking song! 

This, was the second song. It was written for a specific reason. Jim was producing a duo, two younger kids, 18-19 who had some label interest. But while their duo was getting attention, their relationship was falling apart. So he thought that by writing an "The end is here" song, they might be more inclined to want to record it. 

I don't do NEGATIVE AT ALL! I quit writing anything with negative undertones about 20 years ago, because there is just no where to go with it. 90-95% of songs from songwriters are angry, bitter, negative, vindictive, etc. and I just have no interest in adding to that. I've written them, some really strong ones, in the past, and still perform those, but around 2000, I said "That's it, I'll never write any more. I was done with all negative.

So I was in a bit of a delima, in that he and Joie, our other co-writer, were really into the bitter stuff. So I let them take the lyrics. I did throw a couple of lines out and a couple of half lines were mine. What I did was most of the music. Jim is from the 70's rocker, and so I copped the bass line from the old Allman Brothers song "Whipping Post" and started it off. Jim and I wrote the majority of the music and he and Joie did almost all the lyrics. 

I honestly had forgotten about the song, and in fact, didn't really think it was finished, until Joie played the recording that he did on the IDES OF MARCH band, about two years later. Since then, I've seen it a ton on YOU TUBE, which is what I posted it here. Jim is (or was, before the Pandemic) touring with IDES OF MARCH, on their 55th anniversery CD. They do huge summer events, thousands of people, and tour with bands like CHICAGO and BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS.

So it's being performed a great deal and Jim cut it with Ides and CAthy Richardson, the current lead singer of the 70's-80's band, JEFFERSON STARSHIP. It blew me away when I heard it and the horns,the vocals the attitude, makes up for any misgivings I have on the lyrical content.

I'm proud to be involved with it. Applaud them wildly, and honored to be associated with one of my heroes in music. But it does speak to a lesson to all writers, that ALL writers on a song, don't have to love every song. Sometimes it just hits one or more of the writers, and one or more might just be abivilent on it. Some times huge hits have come out of songs where one writer was gung ho, and others just ho hum. Hopefully you get more than you love than you don't care for. Sometimes you are surprised when it gets done, you just never know.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Right Honorable Member
10/05/2020 8:31 pm  
Posted by: @mabbo

I'm proud to be involved with it. Applaud them wildly, and honored to be associated with one of my heroes in music. But it does speak to a lesson to all writers, that ALL writers on a song, don't have to love every song. Sometimes it just hits one or more of the writers, and one or more might just be abivilent on it. Some times huge hits have come out of songs where one writer was gung ho, and others just ho hum. Hopefully you get more than you love than you don't care for. Sometimes you are surprised when it gets done, you just never know.

MAB

Funny you mention that, Marc. I've been having a bit of that lately. I'm curious to know how you manage a situation like that where you're not 100% keen on the material, but 100% keen on the relationship

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
11/05/2020 8:38 am  

Hey Jenny,

It's one of the most common things in musical relationships. Not EVERYONE is going to be into every songs. It is one of the reason you find multiple writers on many songs. Sometimes you need an additional perspective on a song, as to it's viablity. Sometimes songs don't fit a project, some times they just don't fit in with the dynamic of the group. In the 1969, George Harrison stepped out of the shadow of Paul McCartney and John Lennon, when his songs "SOMETHING" and HERE COMES THE SUN" became huge hits on the ABBEY ROAD album. They had always tossed a bone to George letting him have a couple songs an album, but now he demonstrated as their equal. When they broke up, He came out with "ALL THINGS MUST PASS" which was a TRIPLE ALBUM that was comprised completely of songs that had been REJECTED by the BEATLES. And it was a HUGE success.

The point being is that even the best have dissagreements on the quality and direction of material. Very normal.

Personally I have always been in those positions. In the BAND DYNAMIC, you would try to work on every song idea that someone brought in, but some had no real interest to me. That is human nature. Some things hit some people in different ways. And you have to hope that there will be times when you are the one in the driver's seat.

When I moved to Nashville,and being a staff writer for many years, you write TONS AND TONS of songs. You turn them into your publisher and they are only going to take so many. They don't do demos or promote all songs. Sometimes you have to pay your own money to do those, or save them for another day. I've written with many writers and they were very excited about the song and I wasn't. Out of my five major label cuts, three of them were songs I simply thought were OKAY, and in one case, I had even forgotten writing it. The co-writer did his own demo, got his publisher to pitch the song, and got it cut. I had nothing to do with it.

In the case of BLUE STORM RISING, it was one of two songs I wrote with this team. The other two writers loved one, I loved the other one. They are both credible songs, but this one was the one the main focus of the writing, wanted to do for his own purposes.

I'm going through some interesting things on my own right now. During this Pandemic, I have been doing FACEBOOK LIVE shows twice a week. With no venues open, this is pretty much the only way songwriters and artists have to showcase what they do. For me they have been very successful, bringing in hundreds and thousands of people into my music that were not there or spread out too mjch for me to reach all at once. And most importantly, it has helped me showcase hundreds of songs, many of which I have not ever performed before. It also brings some attention to my co-writers, most who have paid me to teach them elements of songwriting. It is as close as they will ever get to having a cut or attention on their songs at all. 

It also forces me to be judicious in my songs. Each show is THEMED, so I have to find songs that fit the theme, just like any artist recording any promect. Some fit, some don't. And there are many that are very similar, so I have to find what fits me personally. It gets harder than you think. With over 3000 possible songs and a "main list" of around 250, it gets interesting. And it's been interesting with the reception. Some people in the audience love certain songs, and skip others. Sometimes I expect it, sometimes I don't. Music is veyr subjective, what works for someone, might not work for others. 

It;s also brought artists and potential co-writers, a few of my friends who are hit writers, and producers have been watching and I've gotten more than a few, "Hey man, I never heard that song, send me a copy of that." I've even gotten a few cuts on some of these, from people I never knew would have even been interesting. A few are hit writers, who I never thought even considered outside material. 

So it's all just  part of it. You take the good with the bad, find your own favorites, always maintain your relationships, give a little, take a little. Same as any relationship. 

That's how I deal with it.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Right Honorable Member
13/05/2020 6:09 pm  

Thanks Marc. Interesting that you've been doing Facebook "shows." My project for this lockdown has been to develop more of a social media presence beyond my collaborative Evans and Stokes presence. I'm working on a website and a Facebook page at the moment. Once I'm up and running on Facebook, I'll subscribe to your page. John tells me that he watches your shows and gets a lot out of them (no surprise there).  🙂

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
14/05/2020 10:13 am  

Hey Downundah Jenny Poo. You don't actually have to "subscribe" to my Facebook page. Just send a Friend Request and I'll grant you access to everything. LOL! Or you just have to show up. In the "search" you just put my name MARC-ALAN BARNETTE, and I'll pop up. The shows are all up there, so you don't have to see them at any particular time. You can just scroll down and find them.

It's been by far the most interesting thing I've ever done. Not only do I get to perform and showcase literally hundreds of songs, but it forces me to bo back through my categlog and find things I have forgotten about, things I hae never performed, things I might not have even  thought about since the time I wrote them, and bring them out to fit the "THEMES" of each show. Each show has a theme.

I've had 18 shows. Songs of hope and rising above hard times (very appropriate now), "It's a GURL THANG" (songs written with, for and about women) "Funny Bones" (songs with a humorous bent), COLLABORATION (songs with a variety of differnt types of co-writers), TWIST ON THE TALE (songs that would seem to go in one direction and then turn out being completey different) That IS COUNTRY, ( songs that are VERY TRADITIONAL COUNTRY) "YOUR SONGS" (total requested songs) "TRUTH IS BETTER THAN FICTION (Songs written from real life situations) etc. All of them have stories in the construction and writing of them, a little on the background of the other writers and a form of narration of the practical applcation of songwriting.

Tommorow is one I am very much looking forward to. THE NEXT BIG THING is a CD/Booklet, I did in 2001. It is sort of a play, where all the songs go together to tell the story of two 85 year old guys, BOBBY AND BILLY, who escape a retirement home to have one last fling in Las Vegas. O nth ebus out they talk about their lives, growing up together, loves, experiences,etc. All the songs are their lives in a flashback form. I had fallen in love with the Musical, Les Miserables, and wanted to find an interesting way to present a CD. In the booklet, I had all kinds of pictures from my life, musicians I'd played with, fiends family ex-relationships, etc. but all used to be the worlds of those two guys. It was a lot of fun to have, and I was really proud of it. But a random pipe burst in my Apartment at the time and destroyed all but just a few of them. So I've never done the whole thing. 

Tomorrow I'll be doing the whole thing from start to finish along with narration of the story. Should be a lot of fun and I'll see if it works as good as I think it does. LOL!

But all of this has worked great for me. I've gotten a ton of new viewers, a lot of new FRIENDS, reconnected with a ton of distant relatives, extended family members (Long lost step brother popped up out of nowhere) let my relatives in alabama who knew nothing of my second career in Nashville, people who are wanting my teaching/mentor services, actually pitching songs to potential artists, getting co-writes, picking up other pod casts, driving people to my web site to purchase songs and my CD, and related items. So it's been a great time for me. 

After all the pandemic clears up, which is starting now, I will continue on for a while. won't have the same captive audience, but I'm sure I will have a few people here and there who seem to like what I'm doing. Tell John thanks for watching and to say something. The only way I can respond or know if anyone is there is when they say something.

Good to hear from you. Hope you are safe and well.
MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Right Honorable Member
14/05/2020 8:10 pm  

Yeah, Jen. Just turn up. That's what I did. 🙂

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Share: