Over The River Toni...

Over The River Tonight by Gary E. Andrews  

RSS

Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
08/07/2019 3:54 pm  

I played this at the Boneyfiddle Final Friday in Portsmouth, Ohio June 29th, 2019 to open my show.
Someone asked me once, "How did you come to write all those sad Songs?"
I said, "I don't know. I wasn't sad when I wrote 'em!"
I seem to recall writing "Over The River Tonight" about that time,  an uptempo, happy Song of love.
If I had pursued a career in music this might have been what they call my "Career Song", that one big hit that enabled me to tour for the rest of my life. Since I didn't, someone else could. Cover it. See if your audience likes it. Get in touch if you want to 'cut' and' release' it. The audience won't know me, the Songwriter. They'll know the singer who brought it to them.

Over The River Tonight
Copyright January 11, 1979 
by Gary E. Andrews
All Rights Reserved for the Globe

Chords 
E O221OO 
G#m X66444 
Bm XO4432 
A X77655 

Gbm X44222 
A XO222O 
Am XO221O 

(Verse I) 
Put on a hat! Take off your coat! 
Babe let's you and I rent a boat! 
I'll row us, To the Kentucky si-hi-hide. 
We'll wait for the sun to desert us! 
We'll burn a bit but it won't hurt us! 
We'll wait for the silver moon to ri-hise, 
(Chorus Refrain) 
Over The River Toni-hi-hi-i-i-i-ight. 

(Verse II) 
We'll build up the fire, Put on a log! 
We'll take along your spaniel dog! 
He will keep us company tonight! 
And if I'm a bit slow movin' in, 
Won't you invite me with a grin? 
Spread your blanket. 
Show me where to li-hie, 
Over The River Tonight. 

(Bridge) 
Beneath the trees, The stars, The hills, 
Jumpin' fish and whip-poor-wills. 
Have you ever seen the river, In moonli-ight? 
I hope everything goes alright, 
My boat floats and we don't fight. 
I guess I'll let my conscience be my guide, 
Over The River Toni-hi-hi--i--i--i-ight. 

(Instrumental interlude, about four bars) 

I said, I hope everything goes alright. 
My boat floats and we don't fight. 
I guess I'll let my conscience be my guide, 
Over The River Toni-hi-hi--i--i--i-ight. 

(Verse 3) 
You can wear my coat, Lay in my lap. 
I suppose your momma would make a flap, 
If she knew what you were gonna do to-ni-hi-a-hight. 
We'll philosophize, sit and chat, 
About what makes a ring around the moon like that. 
We'll be talkin' 'til the first twili-hight, 

(Coda) 
Lettin' the time turn the page. 
Lettin' the moon set the sta-age, 
Over the river, Over The River Toni-hi-hi--i--i-a--i--i-i--i-i--i-ight. 
Hi-hi-hi-i--i-i-a-i-i-i-ight (doop doop doop doo)

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
08/07/2019 5:11 pm  

Hey Gary, do you have a link to the song?

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
08/07/2019 10:27 pm  

It's on www.garyeandrews.com but you'll have to use back/forward buttons to step through some or all the 14 tracks to play it. 

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Honorable Member
14/07/2019 5:34 am  

Hey Gary. Your website appears to be broken. None of the buttons on the left of the screen work for me.   😢

I'd love to hear your song.

http://evansandstokes.com
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes/

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
14/07/2019 9:22 am  

Thanks Jenny. I took all the quotes to my webmaster, to reiterate a previous message that it isn't working. Gavin pointed out that Flash Player doesn't work with iPhones, and that's probably the way the mass of humanity would first explore a website. Your visit showed up on my maploco device on the site. But if buttons don't work it indicates limited perusal of the written pages, and no ability to hear, which is of strategic importance.
So we'll see if he can develop a long-promised upgrade. Thanks again!

Thanks to all who notified me of the glitch. The glitch who stole Christmas.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
14/07/2019 9:40 am  

Gary, how computer-savvy are you? There's nothing like having control over your own website. If you have to pay or ask a friend every time you want to update it by adding a new song or bit of news, you are far less likely to do it. It's pretty easy these days.

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
14/07/2019 12:57 pm  

Not computer-savvy at all. 
I wrote a contract for creation of the site calling for training on how to run it myself, but never enforced it. I had visions of becoming a traveling musical act, working from the road to keep my internet presence up, having downloadable works for sale, the whole commercial concept. Nahhhh! Working in those days I wasn't motivated to find time and coordinate the together time to get the contract fulfilled. Then I decided I couldn't see myself traveling, hobbling through airports or strange cities on foot, or even by car. I kind of lost interest in that scenario. Live performance is a limited revenue stream, without salable product, downloads, USB's, physical CD's, t-shirts, pictures, posters, whatever other things fans might buy.
On my site are websites of others I've added, but I don't know the code to make them 'clickable', leaving visitors to copy and paste them into their browser if they desire to visit those sites. That's too much to ask for most visitors. Make it easy. Make it 'real', in the sense that what they click on gives them what they expect. One of the most common flaws on websites is 'clickables' that aren't what they say they are, and clickables that take you to another location where you're asked to click again for the same thing you thought you expressed desire to see/hear the first time you clicked. I, personally, am more likely to quit and go back when offered that second click. 
Yes, the more control you can exercise over your 'product' the better. If making the transition from hobbyist to commercial venture with your music it is essential that you know how things work, and are involved in the 'business'. History is full of stories of people who trusted others to 'take care of that' and found themselves robbed.  Being dependent on others for even the simplest of changes is inconvenient.
My product is of a nature that I would like to be able to edit and change and update and correct with frequency. But, not being a digital native, born in the middle of the 20th Century, and being asocial, essentially a hermit, I have not learned to use modern tools. Now retired, when suddenly you have to learn that all-your-time is ALL- YOUR-TIME and you have to decide what to do with it, I find myself quite content to work in the yard and out in the community, doing things I want to do, playing, essentially, with my creative product being simply my own entertainment. 
I've imagined checking with the local university or tech-school for training on how to use a phone, computer programming for website purposes, recording (I hear the U trains on Pro-Tools, or did some years ago). But I'm ambitionless, save for the dream of being a rich asocial hermit instead of...well...this.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
14/07/2019 1:20 pm  

Do you still have all your songs as MP3s or .wav files or whatever?

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
14/07/2019 9:42 pm  

They were a fluke recording on Magix software. I don't know what format they are. I sent a few of them out back then, 2006, but I don't even remember how I did that. MP3 sounds familiar. 

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
17/07/2019 10:10 am  
Posted by: Gary E. Andrews

They were a fluke recording on Magix software. I don't know what format they are. I sent a few of them out back then, 2006, but I don't even remember how I did that. MP3 sounds familiar. 

If you have the mp3 files, I could maybe do a simple website for you using Wordpress and then just turn it over to you to keep up to date by posting new songs, blog posts about things like upcoming gigs, etc. It's very easy to do that with Wordpress once the site is set up. (No charge, of course)

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
17/07/2019 11:13 pm  

I have my webmaster on the case. He's put up a new player but it's only playing snippets. I want the whole Song. Snippets don't work for me on other people's Songs. I need to hear the whole thing. We'll see what he can do.

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
07/08/2019 10:39 am  

The Webmaster says the Songs are back up with a different player.  I notice one is still a short snippet, instead of the full Song. Hope they work! I've been pitching to to the locals.

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
08/08/2019 3:19 pm  

It's playable now, Gary.

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
Sparkly Member
08/08/2019 8:51 pm  

Splendid! Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register