29 Standard Guitar ...

29 Standard Guitar Turnarounds  

RSS

Marcus Nalgaber
(@marcusnalgaber)
Eminent Member
19/03/2019 9:40 am  

All these chord wheels belong to a small book of songs of always
They are commercial song structures, maybe too commercial, but that's the way it is.
Almost no songs are made with such obvious harmonic structures
Maybe this can be useful for someone to compose a song of success or for his friends to tell him that he is older composing than Ben-Hur
Greetings from the past ...

Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
19/03/2019 10:23 am  

That's a great video, Marcus. I always think that a lot depends on how you write a song. If you start with a chord progression, then you will tire of "obvious" structures and always be looking for new ones. If you start with the melody in your head, then the chord progression will feel like it's playing a supporting role, although obviously a very important one, and the need to innovate in that area will not feel as strong. I fall into the latter category, maybe because of my heritage and maybe because I learnt music on melodic instruments first - recorder, tin whistle, clarinet. I only recently started to explore the possibilities offered by all the different kinds of chords. This probably shows in my music, especially songs that are based on melodies that have been swirling around in my brain since childhood. Some of those only have the three major chords.

Interestingly, I'm not alone in that. My local chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) had a presentation from the owner of a recording studio in Nashville who has recorded with some of the biggest stars. He analyzed the top ten country songs from a single month last year, and one of the defining characteristics he emphasized was their extreme simplicity, including the chords. So, it looks like you are right about commercially successful song structures. In fact, some of those chord progressions in the video would be too complex for today's Nashville! I found the hit songs he played mostly boring and irritatingly formulaic, but they were certainly successful.

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Marcus Nalgaber
(@marcusnalgaber)
Eminent Member
19/03/2019 10:53 am  
Posted by: Gavin

That's a great video, Marcus. I always think that a lot depends on how you write a song. If you start with a chord progression, then you will tire of "obvious" structures and always be looking for new ones. If you start with the melody in your head, then the chord progression will feel like it's playing a supporting role, although obviously a very important one, and the need to innovate in that area will not feel as strong. I fall into the latter category, maybe because of my heritage and maybe because I learnt music on melodic instruments first - recorder, tin whistle, clarinet. I only recently started to explore the possibilities offered by all the different kinds of chords. This probably shows in my music, especially songs that are based on melodies that have been swirling around in my brain since childhood. Some of those only have the three major chords.

Interestingly, I'm not alone in that. My local chapter of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) had a presentation from the owner of a recording studio in Nashville who has recorded with some of the biggest stars. He analyzed the top ten country songs from a single month last year, and one of the defining characteristics he emphasized was their extreme simplicity, including the chords. So, it looks like you are right about commercially successful song structures. In fact, some of those chord progressions in the video would be too complex for today's Nashville! I found the hit songs he played mostly boring and irritatingly formulaic, but they were certainly successful.

Thank you very much for your words
I think simplicity in this world is the best key to open doors of all kinds
Then there are the pharaonic dreams of some people dedicated to music who think that the category of a music is in its difficulty, etc ... (Some time ago I envied a little to all those musicians so brilliant that they are able to compose symphonies and operas , but now I do not envy them, now they give me a little bit of pity for their suffering and for their inferiority complexes ...)
I have it very easy as a musician, because even if I wanted to, I could never compose anything complicated because of my musical and intellectual limitations.
And then I feel that simplicity is my place, I feel comfortable in it

ReplyQuote
Guy E. Trepanier
(@guy-e-trepanier)
22/03/2019 2:27 pm  

Very interesting. I like the jazz feeling of these chords.

It is possible to simplify more for a beginner by using a numbering system.

Here is a couple of examples in the key of G: (it works in any key)

Chords: I=G, 2m=Am, III7=B7, IV=C, V=D, V7=D7, 6m=Em, VI7=E7

I----/6m----/IV----/V7----/  <== 4 bars (zillions of songs with this chord progression)

I--III7--/6m----/2m--V7--/I----/  <== 4 bars

2m--6m--/III7--6m--/2m--III7--/6m----/  <== 4 bars

I--IV--/V----/IV--V--/I----/  <=4 bars

I----/2m----/V7----/I----/  <== 4 bars

6m----/2m----/V7----/I----/  <== bars

Have fun!

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple and Singable
https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/default.cfm?bandID=588312
https://soundcloud.com/guyetrep
https://soundcloud.com/guyechante

ReplyQuote
Marcus Nalgaber
(@marcusnalgaber)
Eminent Member
22/03/2019 2:35 pm  
Posted by: Guy E. Trepanier

Very interesting. I like the jazz feeling of these chords.

It is possible to simplify more for a beginner by using a numbering system.

Here is a couple of examples in the key of G: (it works in any key)

Chords: I=G, 2m=Am, III7=B7, IV=C, V=D, V7=D7, 6m=Em, VI7=E7

I----/6m----/IV----/V7----/  <== 4 bars (zillions of songs with this chord progression)

I--III7--/6m----/2m--V7--/I----/  <== 4 bars

2m--6m--/III7--6m--/2m--III7--/6m----/  <== 4 bars

I--IV--/V----/IV--V--/I----/  <=4 bars

I----/2m----/V7----/I----/  <== 4 bars

6m----/2m----/V7----/I----/  <== bars

Have fun!

Best Idea!!

Many Thanks!!

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register