Presets and overall...

Presets and overall sound  

RSS

JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
30/05/2019 1:41 pm  

Let’s face it, we all are born with a certain set of unique tools to work with and develop our own unique "tastes" with years of experience and practice. But, that in no way means that what I think sounds good in my studio will also sound good in yours. I believe it takes several sets of ears from several different angles to achieve an "overall sound" that appeals to everyone, or at least doesn’t insult everyone lol. I'd like to suggest a "listening room" where we all agree to listen to each other’s recordings. We will all start from a flat Eq and then note what tweaks we make to improve the sound to our own liking. Then the original poster of a recording can compare the notes from several listeners and average the results. What do you think? 🤠 

Gavin, this would also pose a great challenge for you... Could you possibly create this room with at least a 7 band Eq that takes a picture of each listener’s preferences?

This topic was modified 4 months ago by JAPOV

Songwriter Junction
(@songwriter-junction)
Member Admin
30/05/2019 2:51 pm  

I'm not sure I get what you're suggesting in that last sentence, Tony. Can you explain it a little more?

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
30/05/2019 6:08 pm  

Is there a way to embed an Eq into a listening window so the listener can leave a comment and a picture frame of how the Eq was adjusted?

ReplyQuote
Songwriter Junction
(@songwriter-junction)
Member Admin
31/05/2019 9:34 am  

That would be neat. We don't really have a "listening window." The forum software allows content from various sources, such as YouTube and SoundCloud to be embedded in a post. It's still actually coming from those sites; you just don't have to leave the forum to see/hear it. So, if what you suggest was possible, it would have to be done by YouTube or SoundCloud.

I must admit I'm flattered that you think I might have the technical chops to pull off something like that.  

ReplyQuote
Bernd
(@bernd)
09/06/2019 10:48 am  

I second Tony's suggestion to have some kind of listening room where the focus would lie on giving feedback with regard to the mix.

I DO NOT think an EQ is needed or would even be of any use. Normally it's the compression (and here mainly the limiter) that influence the first impression a recording makes. Also, EQs are used on the single tracks - most obviously on the vocal track(s) - and only sparingly on the complete mix.

But feedback like "the vocals should be more upfront" (as I just received from Gary), or "the guitar sounds muffled" etc. could be very helpful indeed.

My own mixes may be still crap, I'm afraid, but they are much less crappy since I asked for detailed feedback from (hobby or semiprofessional) producers (I actually paid them for their tips) and changed my handling accordingly. Since producing is not exactly the part that I like most, I now use the same 'recipe' for all songs (which is not quite as bad as it may sound as I use the same instruments, the same VST plugin for drums, an d the same singer on all of them). The most important hint was to use the limiter on the whole mix at the end. Like compression I still use it sparingly, but I gain 3 to 4 dB loudness. Still, I would appreciate helpful hints where to tweak my mixes.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
09/06/2019 1:58 pm  

Hmmm.... Hey Bernd, would you be willing to download one of my mixes and demonstrate an "over-all" limiter effect? I generally only use a limiter on bass and vocals....

ReplyQuote
Songwriter Junction
(@songwriter-junction)
Member Admin
09/06/2019 2:55 pm  

Guys, we could have a separate section for this, but don't you think it actually belongs in "Tune Topics?" That's where to post songs with music and get feedback on them, including the mix and or mastering.

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
09/06/2019 3:53 pm  

No! We want things complicated! We like to watch you dance! 😜 

Actually, you’re right.... Without editing tools there’s no sense in a sound-room.

Hey, how about a soft serve ice cream machine?!?

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
09/06/2019 4:14 pm  
Posted by: JAPOV

No! We want things complicated! We like to watch you dance!  

Actually, you’re right.... Without editing tools there’s no sense in a sound-room.

Hey, how about a soft serve ice cream machine?!?

I'll look into whether that's an option in the forum software. I know you like to watch me dance - that's why you went to all that trouble to learn the eightsome reel on the guitar.  

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Bernd
(@bernd)
09/06/2019 4:45 pm  

You guys are right, of course. You can always ask for specified feedback.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register