Conformity  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
18/06/2019 11:00 pm  
Posted by: ckiphen

Oops reminded me of a limerick i read about 40 + years ago on the wall of a restroom in a bar. Title was Nyphyohomicidial Alice. Nuff said.

Burning hair! Lololol.........

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
19/06/2019 6:18 pm  

You know what Mabbo... you’re absolutely right! I can kick and cuss and shake my fist at the powers that be till I’m dead and gone and it’ll never make a damn bit of difference. I’ll just be remembered as that crazy raging asshole! If I can’t watch TV or tolerate the radio anymore then that’s my problem! Recording my own music is obviously a frustratingly useless endeavor and the source of my perpetual whining so....... Fuck it!

ReplyQuote
ckiphen
(@ckiphen)
Honorable Member
19/06/2019 10:02 pm  

You'll keep making your music for the same reason i write. Because it love music! That in and of otself is reason enough!

carroll kiphen

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
19/06/2019 10:43 pm  

We all feel like that sometimes, Tony. I probably come at it from a completely different angle, but I know what you mean. Stay away from cable "news," catch up once a day with Reuters or the BBC or someone else with no ax to grind, and enjoy your music. I know I enjoy it. You're appreciated here. I remember when I first joined SW101 with no clue what I was doing, you were the first to reach out a hand to help. People remember that kind of thing long after one talking arse on the TV has been replaced by another one, and, in the end, it's far more important. 

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Deacon
(@deacon)
Sparkly Member
19/06/2019 11:13 pm  

Tony,

Gav not speak with forked tongue, he has given the best advice anyone could give, and Carroll is right too, we all love the music, and that in itself is enough.  My 18 month old grandson will stop in his tracks when I play the guitar and sing one of my crappy old songs for him, and he will laugh with delight as he tries to dance.  That alone makes me happy for what we all try to do.  Best wishes "T"

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Honorable Member
19/06/2019 11:29 pm  

Agree totally. We got an email from a fan today who said one of our songs had helped him through a rough time. Did the song conform? NOT-IN-THE-SLIGHTEST. Did it find its mark. Yup. Totally.

Conform if you want to sell your music to the commercial machine. Conform if you want your lyrics picked up by a mainstream artist (or any artist with aspirations in that direction). Otherwise, the world is your oyster. Go wow us with your creativity! Or just have fun. 

http://evansandstokes.com
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes/

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
Honorable Member
19/06/2019 11:49 pm  

I probably should add that for me, I've worked hard (with a lot of help from MAB actually) over the last couple of years to learn how to write for the mainstream. It's something I felt I needed to do for my own development, not because I ever had any aspirations to work with mainstream music, just so that I had those skills to use if I needed them because who knows what opportunities life will bring. I've tried to learn the rules so that I could then break them. I've learned how to conform but choose not to. It's my choice. I know what rules I've broken. 🙃 

http://evansandstokes.com
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes/

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
20/06/2019 12:28 pm  

Many songs that are "BREAK THROUGH SONGS" are those that don't exactly conform, yet use the existing rules in a way that most people didn't think of. That can be taking a song that in "older days" might take longer to tell a story, yet it gets customized down, and trimmed out that it becomes "mainstream." OR, a song that BREAKS every rule in a way that explodes yet that BECOMES the mainstream.  I can give you an example:

"BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY by QUEEN was a very break through, non-conformist song. A six and a half minute opera, about God knows WHAT, with multiple sections, was really a song that followed NO RULES. When it came out NOBODY knew what to make of it. But it went to number one, and stayed on the charts, even today. Of course the Oscar winning movie from last year, and it being played somewhere every day on classic radio, movies and on commercials, doesn't hurt. It is the very definition of NON-CONFORMISTS. 

But, having huge track records, hit concerts, million selling albums and being a hugely influential band FIRST, didn't hurt their chances on that song. Had they STARTED with that, it might have had a much different result. 

But if you look at non-conformists, different, writers, artists or songs, you will find that at some part, the conformed before they were able to break out. My favorite quote came from a record company president once, who told me:
"WHEN YOU CAN SEE YOUR REFLECTION IN  YOUR GOLD AND PLATINUM RECORDS, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT.
TILL THEN, YOU HAVE TO PLAY BY THE RULES."

But to me, the best compliment is when someone says ""I've heard that a billion times before, but never thought of it that way. That is non-conformity to me.
Gotta know and understand the rules before you break them. And most don't break them as much as they BEND them quite a bit.
But again, in today's "do it yourself, and make it up as you go" world, you can pretty much do anything you want any way you want.
Kind of the nature of the modern music industry game. 

MAB

This post was modified 3 months ago by Mabbo

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Honorable Member
21/06/2019 4:23 pm  

When are you just going to shut up? If I had written some generic POS like "Only in America" you would have shot me down without hesitation, told me how cliche my concept is, and gave me the usual lecture about "the industry" and todays current political environment.... You're a master of double talk! A typical salesman! 

ReplyQuote
Songwriter Junction
(@songwriter-junction)
Member Admin
21/06/2019 5:05 pm  

OK, guys, let's just leave it there. If you want to continue tearing lumps out of each other, private messaging would be a better venue than Carroll's topic here. Or better yet, just don't respond to each other. This whole thing seems to have started from a misunderstanding and then spiraled out of control.

ReplyQuote
ckiphen
(@ckiphen)
Honorable Member
21/06/2019 7:04 pm  

I deleted my original post. Guess admin. Needs to do the rest.Bad press!

carroll kiphen

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register