© 1978 by Gary E. Andrews
All Rights Reserved for the Globe

Chords:
F X33211
G7 32OOO1
Am XO221O

I talked to a Gypsy woman.
I paid her with a song.
She told me of three fortunes I would own.
She even told me, Of our love,
Your lips when we're alone.
I asked her to throw in,
Where we are goin' wrong.
I said, "Do ya know then,
Where we are goin' wrong?"

She came through a darkened doorway,
Said, "What can I do for you?"
I told her what the matter was that was wrong.
I even told her of my heart,
How it got broken into.
She said, "You should know then,
What you are goin' through."

Then she struck a pose,
Like lightning frozen,
Fast upon her face.
Her dark hair curled,
In her darkroom world,
And framed her eyes in lace.
She said, "Babe, don't you worry 'bout
Your confidential girl.
She just keeps you in a state,
I'll take you 'round the world.
She said, "Just tiptoe in. Forget you're goin' wrong."
She said, "Just tiptoe in. Forget where you're goin' wrong."

(Repeat Verse I, time permitting)

More Info...
"Talked To A Gypsy" Copyright 1978 by Gary E. Andrews. All Rights Reserved For The Globe.

In Asia, in 1972-73, some friends went to a fortune teller. One guy said the fortune teller told him he would own three fortunes and lose them all.

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
15/11/2019 5:22 pm  

Typically atmospheric, Gary, but I have to admit I had a hard time following it. Is the "She" in the second verse, the Gypsy woman or someone else? If she's the Gypsy woman, then why is she asking,"What can I do for you?" when she has already told his fortune? If she's someone else, then who? And what about the three fortunes that are mentioned at the start? More questions than answers 🙂

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
moraamarolaloba
(@moraamarolaloba)
Sparkly Member
15/11/2019 8:09 pm  

Hola Gary, You have made a very disturbing lyrics ... with an unusual story and I like that that's why I think like Gavin, it would be great if you developed it in those aspects!!

The bad part of the doubt is that it has no face

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Right Honorable Member
16/11/2019 4:16 pm  

Do you have a link for this Gary? What's the rhythm?

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1449856

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
A Night To ReMember
16/11/2019 10:01 pm  

Gavin, you may be right. If it doesn't work it doesn't work. In Verse I the Singer-Character speaks in First-Person, telling whoever is listening, "I" talked to, and specifies who he talked to, "a Gypsy woman", and that he paid her with a Song. Both Characters are given some 'realities', her a Gypsy, him a singer. Sometimes Gypsies make money 'telling fortunes', and in this case she tells him of "three fortunes (money) he would own."
Then the Singer-Character introduces the Love-Interest Character, with "our love" and "your lips", a First-Person address to the Love-Interest Character, who it is revealed is being told the story the same as we, the listeners, are. In the final Lines of Verse I the 'conflict' is introduced, "...going wrong." Conflict is a good device in story-telling. Stories where everything's going smoothly can be boring. Conflict insists on 'resolution'. 
In Verse II the Singer-Character continues describing the experience with the Gypsy woman, continuing his story for us, the audience, and the Love-Interest Character. 
The third Stanza I could see as a Bridge or a Chorus, dramatizing the Gypsy's allure and seduction, to which the Singer-Character was subjected, and may have given in to. She encourages him to forget about the Love-Interest Character, and avail himself of what she's offering. I've always felt it was complete at that point, no need to be specific about the outcome, just the two possibilities, either his succumbing to the seduction, or turning it down, and coming to tell his Love-Interest what happened, and force a resolution to whatever is going wrong with their relationship.
The Title should probably be "Where We Are Going Wrong" or just "Going Wrong". "Talked To A Gypsy" is not THE Hook, just an overall descriptor. The "Going Wrong" idea gets Repetition. The "Talked" idea is only Repeated if you fade on a Repeat of Verse I.
Mora, I'm taking it as a good thing that is 'disturbing'. Neil Young sang, "I was raised by the praise of a fan who said I upset her!"
JAPOV, you know better. If I had a link I'd have posted in the other forum. I'd love to have people hear more of my Songs. But I thought people might want to read the Lyric too.
Thanks everyone for looking in.

Despite 1,000's of years of Songwriting humans have not exhausted the possibilities. There will always be another Song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? www.garyeandrews.com

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Right Honorable Member
16/11/2019 11:42 pm  

Well.... Lol, I had no problem with the storyline. I just can’t nail down a rhythm!

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Right Honorable Member
16/11/2019 11:47 pm  

"She came through a darkened doorway"...

Her eyes beckoned at the doorway... This is all I would change 😎 

ReplyQuote
JAPOV
(@japov)
Right Honorable Member
17/11/2019 1:20 am  

On second thought...

I talked to a fortune teller 
I paid her with a song
A old gypsey with desires of her own
She told me of our love
Your lips when we're alone
I asked her to throw in
What I'm doing wrong
I said, "Do ya know then,
What I’m doing wrong?"

Her eyes beckoned at the doorway
Said, "What will I do for you?
I can see you’re feeling scared and alone."
She even told me of my heart,
How it was breaking in two
She said, "You should know then,
What you are going to do."

Then with fearful purposes 
Lighting froze in her eyes
And the years fled her beautiful face
Her dark hair curled In her darkroom world
And framed her shoulders in lace
She said, "Babe, don't you worry 'bout
Your consequential girl
Your future is with me
I'll take you 'round the world

She said, "You've three more treasures to lose, but I'll be the one you choose..."

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by JAPOV

ReplyQuote
Gavin
(@gavin)
Honorable Member
18/11/2019 10:05 pm  

Gary, even with the explanation, I think it's too confusing, especially where the gypsy says, "What can I do for you?" like she is just meeting him, when she has already told his fortune. I love the atmosphere you create, but, if I was hearing it for the first time, I think I'd feel a bit frustrated.

I may or may not be an enigma
http://mysteriousbeings.com

ReplyQuote
Gary E. Andrews
(@gary-e-andrews)
A Night To ReMember
19/11/2019 12:42 am  

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. You're right. Songs don't come with explanations. They have to stand on the communication within the Lyric. 

She's not just meeting him in Verse II.
The Singer-Character is still telling the Love-Interest Character about her in Verse II, continuing what he told the Love-Interest Character in the end of Verse I.
The whole story is about the Gypsy, the Singer-Character telling about her. All those pronouns are the Gypsy woman.
"I talked to a Gypsy woman..."
"I paid her..." her, the Gypsy.
"She told me..." She, the Gypsy.
"I even told her of our..." her, the Gypsy. 'our', the Singer-Character and the Love-Interest Character.
"I asked her to throw in where we..." her, the Gypsy, we, the Singer-Char. and Love-Int. Char.
"I said could you..." you, the Gypsy.

"She came through..." She, the Gypsy
"Said, "What can I..." I
"I told her..." her
"I even told her..." her
"She said..." She

"Then she..." she
"like lightning frozen upon her..." her
"Her dark hair..." Her
"her dark room world..." her
"and framed her eyes..." her
"She said..." She
"I'll take you..." I'll
"She said..." She

Damn! Almost every Line has a pronoun for the Gypsy woman.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Gary E. Andrews

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register