The Old Dog from Ohio  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
23/03/2019 11:35 am  

Okay OD,  you're turn.

I'm prompting both you and Phil and your overall songwriting journey's because you have similarities and differences. My contention is that to really understand the finer points of songwriting in relation to AUDIENCES, which, even if we are pitching songs, we have to be concerned with AUDIENCES, that we HAVE to get among other writers, for networking, for sharing information and relationships AND for getting a view of OTHER SONGS, what are done RIGHT and NOT SO RIGHT.

When you started, you had come off of recording quite a few songs without really having them vetted or looked at by other people much. And while you got great sounding product, you might have done yourself more of a favor, by looking a bit harder at your songs first.

THEN the advent of the relationships (and NOT JUST THE CUTE WOMEN THAT ADORE YOU) that you have built and the nature of the people you have interacted with over the years. 

You see, here, we have the magnificent Kiwi, Jenny, Jenny, Jenny, who is a writer/artist in New Zealand, yet doesn't really do much live and in person. I understand this, and much of what she does is with John Evans, another member she met online through the Songwriter 101 site.
She has asked about how to reach more people and my contention is that without some form of personal interaction, it is difficult to go past a certain point, mainly because the Internet is so vast, it is easy to get lost almost immediately. I believe there are ways to utilize the Internet, but there should be some form of PERSONAL INTERACTION involved as well. Even if for no other reason than to keep PERSONAL INTERACTION alive.

The Internet to me, in many ways are pushing us apart. We no longer converse with each other. If you encounter someone under the age of 30, it is difficult enough to get them off their phone enough to look you in the eye. 

So I'd like you to relate a bit about your takeaways in physically meeting people and while you don't so much write any more, you do get benefits out of actually interacting with people, and a lot of your experiences have allowed you to see a lot of these situations.

You're turn.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 1:55 pm  

Holy Crap MAB, I first read your challenge for Philboy to respond and thought I had time to comment after he did; but now I see your challenge is directed towards me as well.  OMG!!!

Okay, I really do have to make a trip to my buddy "Russell's Drive-Thur" for supplies to deal with this issue.  I have to change out of my jammies and put some pants on to make a trip (where the hell did I last hang my pants???).

Awe mercy, Gavin may have to send a flock of carrier pigeons to deliver the post I may come up with.  Holy Crap!!!   Does Jenny realize she is at risk of being proposed to if the old guy gets in the beer again.  OMG!!!

It's Saturday and I haven't even watched my newly recorded program of bushy haired Bob Ross painting happy little trees yet. 

I was trying to deal with an email I received this morning from an old girlfriend way back in High School informing me she was happy to hear from me and she had no problem with me becoming fat and ending up a poor old bastard,  and she would gladly hook up with me again if not for the fact her very successful attorney hubby may not like the idea.

I was almost over the fact my cat "Miss Kitty" wants nothing to do with me, even after I managed to get down on the floor in an attempt to play with her and she simply looked at me with a expression of "WTF" and got up and walked away.  She didn't even stay around long enough to witness how difficult it was for me to get myself up again after my effort to play with her.

I was also dealing with the fact a telemarketer hung up on me earlier because I was so happy to hear from someone and almost spoke their ear off.  They gave me another one of those "Oh Gosh, look at the time, I have other calls to make".  It was even a Girl.

I was going to go through that stack of mail on my table I've been avoiding because 98% of it is junk mail.  I was going to dig through all of it to find the bills I need to pay.  Good Lord, I can't allow my electric to get shut off simply because I didn't pay my electric bill.  I couldn't live without a TV, internet, refrigerator, or a microwave for my TV dinners.

Oh Lord MAB, just typing my list of things to do today is leaving me needing a nap.  How will I ever find the time while I'm awake or sober enough to answer your challenge.  I also have to consider tonight is "Saturday Night Bingo" with the old fat girls that tempt a single Old Dog with their casserole's, and no doubt will have left-overs for me to take home. 

Awe Mercy MAB, so much to think about....... ugh......  What was your question again???

OD

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 3:51 pm  

Okay then, I'm back from my buddy Russell's Drive Thru "pop", the sound from a  lid,  and I'm ready to undress....... I mean ready to address these issues MAB is asking (sorry Jen, you were on my mind there for a second).  Ha!!!

Oh My, a lot to respond to with the questions of MAB, so allow me to take on one of his questions at a time.  First I recall MAB mentioning on his request for our buddy Philboy to respond to similar experiences, I think MAB mentioned he was not as much concerned about us trying to write for Nashville but in us trying to write songs to please our listening audience in general.  However; please allow me to say a few things about my own lessons learned concerning once trying to write songs that would please Nashville; because that is exactly what we all want to do, and if our small group of listeners enjoyed our songs, that would only give us more reason to try and infiltrate the Nashville market.

All of us were raised on hearing our favorite music on the radio and hearing of our favorite artists gaining fame and fortune from variable news sources.  We all loved the attention they received and their life styles so we perceived that as what we wanted to enjoy for ourselves also.  While most of us were faced early on with the harsh reality we didn't have the talent to become a great performing artist, we resolved in thinking we could still receive a decent income from becoming a successful songwriter behind the songs recorded by a famous artist.  I can't begin to explain how many amateur songwriters like me, that years ago posted their lyrics or perhaps even their songs on many a songwriting site like this one,  that had grand hopes of becoming one of those successful songwriters and making a profit (if not a living) from writing songs.  Some even admitted that is why they got involved with songwriting in the first place. 

I admit during my earlier songwriting days, I even got some encouragement to take my songs to Nashville and have the Pro's there give them a listen.  Oh, you can't imagine how everyone offered their advise especially that I have them protected with a copyright before I ever shared them with anyone.  I never once considered my songs good enough for a major artist to record or to ever be played on the radio.  For me, it wasn't until I had the opportunity to have my original songs recorded in Nashville by professional Nashville studio musicians and singers that I took all of my family and friends hype seriously and even considered it may be possible.  WARNING...... DO NOT TAKE FAMILY AND FRIENDS HYPE SERIOUSLY; consider members of songwriting sites like this one and others to be friends and they truly mean well to encourage us with their comments also; but..... the true test is performing our songs for strangers that have no emotional connection with us or our songs; whether they will listen or not;  like them or not; want to listen again or not; or buy our song recording or not.  Consider this also; any professional in the music biz we may be fortunate to have listen to our songs are strangers to us and not our family or friends, they don't love us or necessarily even like us; they are in the business of making money off other peoples songs.  Period.

Those are my impressions and comments on the professional side of songwriting whether it's a musical town like Nashville or any other music city.  Note though, I'm not an expert by any means and my comments are only from my experience of trying to enter the professional side of songwriting.  However; allow me to say this also.  We don't all have to become successful professional songwriters to find our own audience or our own individual success in songwriting.  It can truly be measured in the satisfaction we feel from creating a song and by having our family and friends; or any group of people who enjoy listening to our songs.  Believe me, there are plenty of us amateur songwriters with good songs to share, and plenty of good people that enjoy hearing them, so we have plenty of reason to continue in our songwriting journey's as well; although we will never get rich off our songs.  

Okay, I'll move on to the next question MAB brought up now.  (hiccup...... ooooops, that was just the start).

OD

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by OD-OldDog

ReplyQuote
philgnfla
(@philgnfla)
Eminent Member
23/03/2019 5:04 pm  

Hey OD! Loved your response. Now, create a new thread somewhere (I created "In The Real World" in the "What's Going On" forum), and copy this into it so maybe more members can learn from your experience. Or, you can just copy it into a reply in my thread to keep one conversation going. What ever you want to do.

phil

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 5:15 pm  

Now Philboy, I love you began a new Thread because that is how your analytical mind works and perhaps your right; but I'm merely responding to the question MAB posed to me on this thread.  If MAB wants to to begin a new Thread and have me respond to it, I would be happy to.  Until then, I'll continue with my comments on here.  It's not like anyone is going to pay attention to what us old guys say anyway.  Ha!!!

OD

This post was modified 4 months ago by OD-OldDog

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
23/03/2019 5:17 pm  

Well when you answer the first question, I'll think of something else to ask.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 5:26 pm  

Holy Crap MAB, I just got around to delivering my 10 minute intro, and not past my first song idea yet..... I mean my first lesson in songwriting yet.  I've already wasted 3 beers leading up to your first question and I'll never be able to get them back or enjoy them ever again (excuse me, I'll be right back).  Okay, allow me to scroll up and see what your first question was again. I'm hoping your asking me about my love for Jen or the ladies in Nashville.  Let me see....... Oh!!!   Apparently not.  Okay; allow me to focus and regroup.  Holy Crap..... you are getting serious here.  Okay.....

OD

This post was modified 4 months ago by OD-OldDog

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
23/03/2019 5:46 pm  

Before you answer, read what I just said on Phil's thread and you might see why I'm doing this. As in everything, there is a method to my madness.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 7:06 pm  

Well MAB, I can only realize how difficult it is for you to put up with me because I'm rarely serious.  However; I did make a post in response to yours on Philboy new Thread.  Actually you probably saved me from getting into the beer too much and continuing on with my silliness.

OD

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
24/03/2019 10:53 am  

Read it. Very good. Thank you.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Working