New member, Phil G ...

New member, Phil G here  

RSS

philgnfla
(@philgnfla)
Eminent Member
19/03/2019 5:44 pm  

Hello everybody! Phil G here. I retired a few years back, and decided my new passion would be writing. "SONGS". Not lyrics. Not music. But songs. The art of marrying lyrics to a rhythm, and melody. When I write, I try to remember that rhythm is king, followed by melody and lyrics married together.

At first I was like most. I wanted to write that song that some artist just had to record and put on the radio. I've given up on that. I started performing my own songs back around 2004. Was terrible! I've gotten to the just better than mediocre now, and have fun when I play out. So now, I just write songs I think the audience might like, and that I can perform with my limited abilities.

phil g

DClose
(@dc)
A Night To ReMember
19/03/2019 5:46 pm  

Welcome, Phil!

ReplyQuote
Songwriter Junction
(@songwriter-junction)
Member Admin
19/03/2019 5:48 pm  

Welcome to the Junction, Phil. Good to have you here.

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
19/03/2019 7:11 pm  

Howdy Phil, glad you made it. Everybody, Phil along with OD, are a couple of friends/co-writers of mine that have been around for a few years. They have both come to Nashville quite a bit, and made the trips to the Frank Brown festival in Florida, where Phil has been a volunteer and really helped out a lot. He lives in Fla. and continues to do open mics and work on his craft. Neither of them are the "trying to get a Nashville publisher" types but have had songs recorded by Nashville artists. They have developed close friends in all the places they go and I'm very proud of both of them. I think they'll be great additions over here. Please welcome them.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Jenny Stokes
(@jenny-stokes)
A Night To ReMember
19/03/2019 7:35 pm  

Hello Phil. My name's Jenny but everyone just calls me Jen. Very glad you've joined the Junction. Welcome

http://evansandstokes.com
https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes/

ReplyQuote
John Evans
(@jle3)
A Night To ReMember
19/03/2019 8:19 pm  

Hey Phil. Welcome to the SJ!

http://www.evansandstokes.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/EvansandStokes
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/evansandstokes
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/evansandstokes

ReplyQuote
Deacon
(@deacon)
Sparkly Member
19/03/2019 9:45 pm  

Hello Phil,

Welcome to the Junction, great to have you here, I believe you will fit right in.  Looking forward to seeing you on the forums.  Good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
19/03/2019 10:29 pm  

Philboy, your old buddy "OD" here.  I only joined this site because you came into the Forum so don't let me down.  MAB did invite me first but I thought I would let him off the hook because I'm known for my beer drinking episodes.  Maybe you can help MAB by keeping me reigned in and not allow me to get out of control.  I think folks should know we often visit Nashville together and you are always my designated driver while we are there.  They should also know your wife "Billie" offers to pay me a good sum for looking out for you as a babysitting fee.  I will also mention I never charge Billie; or send her a bill after we spend time in Nashville; because you always end up taking care of me instead.  Still, I have a job to do and a reputation to maintain and your wife Billie thinks I do a fantastic job of keeping you safe and getting you back to her.  

However; this website was set up to discuss songwriting; which you are very active in; so please share you story and songs with us.  

OD

ReplyQuote
philgnfla
(@philgnfla)
Eminent Member
20/03/2019 12:00 pm  

Thanks everybody for the warn welcomes! Thanks especially MAB for your kind words. And thanks OD for "taking care of me" on our tips together!

phil g.

ReplyQuote
ckiphen
(@ckiphen)
Sparkly Member
22/03/2019 3:04 pm  

Welcome Phil and OD. Look forward to your posts and input.

Carroll

carroll kiphen

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
23/03/2019 11:26 am  

Okay, Pilly Boy, here's my little "Phil Interview" question.

(I'm going to prompt you and OD about your overall songwriter's journey, but a bit in different ways.)

It's my contention that one thing all songwriters would benefit from is getting around other writers in live situtations to see how songs actually work (or don't work) in front of audiences who are not their friends or families or just on some web site. That sitting in a room full of people doing the same things, it is harder to get and keep attention, and that you get a sense of songs and ideas, that have been written over and over and over. 

When you and I first met, you were just starting to step  out and play a little bit, had been on SONGRAMP for some time, and approaching open mics. 
Then you did some volunteering for the Frank Brown songwriter's Festival and have seen a LOT of cross section of writers, from the brand new off the street amateurs to the MEGA HIT WRITERS. 

What Kinds of takeaways, observations, relationships, approaches, that have had an effect on your music, your outlook and your abilities.

And NO, I'm not talking about "writing for Nashville." I don't care about that. I care about songwriters GETTING AND KEEPING attention, whenever they write, perform, record, network.

Take it Phil.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
OD-OldDog
(@od-olddog)
Sparkly Member
23/03/2019 12:53 pm  

Hey MAB, good question for the Philboy to tackle because he is so analytical about everything.  I'm going to wait for Philboy to leave his response while I make a trip to Russell's Drive-Thru to pick up supplies for my long as*ed response.  I feel a case of the hiccups coming (or a case of Budlight).

Prepare yourself Jen, this old guy may be proposing to you once again if I get in the beer again.  Ha!!!

OD

ReplyQuote
philgnfla
(@philgnfla)
Eminent Member
23/03/2019 4:54 pm  

OK Marc, challenge accepted. I even  started a new thread called, "In The Real World" in the "What's Going On" forum thinking maybe more members would read it and maybe start a conversation.

phil

ReplyQuote
Mabbo
(@mabbo)
A Night To ReMember
23/03/2019 5:18 pm  

Okay. I'll check it out.

Marc-Alan Barnette

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register